The Hon Barry O’Farrell MP
Premier of NSW
Minister for Western Sydney
Thursday 1 December 2011
THREE CONSORTIA SHORTLISTED FOR
NEW CONVENTION AND EXHIBITION PRECINCT
The creation of Sydney’s new 12-hectare convention, exhibition and entertainment precinct at Darling Harbour is progressing with three strong consortia shortlisted to build and operate the facilities. NSW Premier Barry O’Farrell said the consortia were a mix of local and international players with a depth of experience in construction and maintenance as well as operations and events.
The consortia are:
Destination Sydney comprising AEG Ogden Pty Ltd, Lend Lease Project Management and Construction, Spotless Facility Services Pty Ltd, Lend Lease Developments, Capella Capital Pty Ltd and InfraRed Capital Partners Ltd.
Key Partners comprising Laing O’Rourke Australia Construction Ltd, John Laing Investments Ltd, Macquarie Capital Group Ltd, GL Events and HoneywellLtd.
VeNuSW comprising Plenary Group Ltd, Brookfield Multiplex P/L, Brookfield Multiplex Services Pty Ltd and Suntec Int. Convention & Exhibition Services Pte Ltd.
Mr O’Farrell said today’s announcement means the NSW Liberals & Nationals Government was a step closer to delivering on its commitment to provide a worldclass Sydney International Convention, Exhibition and Entertainment precinct. “We are extremely pleased with the calibre and competitiveness of the consortia submissions. All three have local and international experience across all aspects of the tender, which means we are in a strong position as we progress creating this world-class facility,” Mr O’Farrell said.
Infrastructure NSW (INSW), which is managing the project, received Expressions of Interest from the three proponents following a six week Expressions of Interest period (30 September to 11 November 2011). INSW has invited all three proponents to move forward in the tendering process following a thorough evaluation of their submissions against the published criteria. The three consortia now enter into a negotiation phase with the NSW Government. A Request for Proposals is expected to be issued in March next year, with the preferred tenderer selected by the end of 2012. The precinct is due to be complete late 2016.
The Sydney International Convention, Exhibition and Entertainment precinct involves expanding and enhancing the international convention, exhibition and entertainment complex, including developing new facilities and refurbishing existing facilities across the Darling Harbour precinct. Mr O’Farrell said the project was a critical part of the Government’s plans to make NSW number one again and the industry response had been enthusiastic given the project’s size, scope and complexity. “It will provide Sydney with unified convention, exhibition and entertainment facilities that befit Australia’s global city and will enable us to compete with the best in the world. It will also bring Darling Harbour’s entertainment facilities into the 21st Century with a multipurpose entertainment centre,” he said.
“There has been consultation with industry and local businesses and organisations during 2011 and Infrastructure NSW will expand this consultation during 2012 to make sure that we understand stakeholder views about the project. “We are working to a tight timeframe, with completion of the expanded and new facilities by 2016, so it is important that views are taken into account and we have a facility that makes us competitive in the longer term.”
Further details about the Sydney International Convention, Exhibition and Entertainment Precinct is available at www.newsydneyconventioncentre.com
MEDIA: Brad Burden or Cameron Hamilton 9228 5239